Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Back in the Saddle...




After all the holiday parties and treats, many of us feel like we should do a bit of a balancing act to counter all the extra fats, sugars and extra calories we had. I used to totally overdo it around the holidays, but now am much more aware of what I'm eating. I still get all those goodies, and am currently feeling like I could use a few adjustments in my diet to get me back on track.
I'm not a fan of crash diets. I don't think they work and they aren't much fun. They leave you feeling deprived, depleted and miserable. And you usually gain back anything you've lost once you start eating like a normal person again.
I'm a much bigger proponent of making a few adjustments for a week or so to get back to normal. For instance, I try to drink more water and increase my vegetable and fruit intake, while laying of fats, sugars, meats, cheeses, etc. I still get protein and fats, but just not as much. I find that after few days of this, I feel MUCH better.
I also get back to the exercise. Whether it's running, walking, stretching or just running around the house doing errands, I find that being more active helps me get back to the right state of mind.
Do you have any tips or tricks of getting back to normal after the holidays?
This week will be a little harder as we still have New Year's and we have family and friends to visit with this week. But I'll try to make good choices in the days in between and after.
Here's to a healthy attitude to balance!

No comments: