Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sick Day

I fought it as long as I could.  Sunday morning, I got a slight tickle in my throat, but plowed on through the day.  By the evening, I was drinking lots of water and went to bed on time for a full 8 hours.  I wasn't feeling bad yesterday, but I wasn't feeling good.  As the day progressed, I started to feel worse and worse. 

I mustered up all of my might to take my Organic Chemistry test.  I have no idea how I did.  I'm definitely sure I made some blunders.  We'll just have to see.

I walked out of the testing center and felt totally spent and dizzy.  So I skipped lab and came home.  Upon my arrival I had a huge glass of orange juice and some noodles.  Later, my cough started back.  More juice.  My body felt exhausted and sore.  I went to bed.

I woke up today and took the dog out for a test of how good I was feeling.  At first I thought, "I can make it in to work!"  Then I sat on the couch.  Suddenly the prospect of driving seemed daunting.  Even the thought of putting on pants seemed hard.  Pants.  Even yoga pants.  Kendall came down to find me cuddled on the couch with the dog, trying not to think of changing clothes, for fear of exhaustion.  We decided to go back to bed.  So I'm home today, and Kendall is working from home.

In bed, I thought about how I should eat something.  Eggs sounded really good.  I was going to make eggs and toast.  Then I thought of the berries that I needed to finish.  Eggs and toast and fruit with some OJ and vitamins.  Once in the kitchen, I thought about cooking and got myself together enough to make something.  I used up some potatoes and made potato and egg breakfast tacos with berries.  And OJ.  And coffee.  Behold.


Somehow this is freakishly well-balanced.  The tortillas could be better from a nutritional standpoint, but whatever.  This lady is sick.  This breakfast was delicious!  Now I am recovering from it, curled up on the couch and thinking about another nap.  I do not think I will be so ambitious with lunch.

My dog is with me.  They say pets know when you aren't feeling well.  At first, I thought Maple had no idea.  But as soon as I sat down to write this, she jumped up on the sofa, licked my hand and is now curled up by my lap, keeping my company.  I love my dog.  So, so much.

No comments: