Monday, January 18, 2010

Two Simple Soups

This weekend, I found myself make soup unexpectedly due to cedar allergies and the start of my new semester. The allergies made Kendall and I crave something brothy, hot and simple, something to steam up in our faces and perhaps melt away the foggy-feeling in our heads. And as I begin a busy semester, I want to keep on track, instead of falling prey to convenience foods that are laden with salt, fat, simple carbohydrates and sugar.

Enter... egg drop soup and vegetable soup.

Egg Drop Soup

Perhaps the simplest recipe for this classic on earth. I made two big bowls for lunch today. I beat two eggs in a bowl.



Then I brought 3 C of chicken broth to a boil. Then, using my fork, I stirred the broth rapidly as I poured the egg in.
I let this boil for 2 min., then reduced to simmer while I chopped up some green onions. Then I ladled into bowls and sprinkled the onions on top. Viola!


Easy Vegetable Soup:
Needing something quick to heat and eat, I decided on an easy, easy, easy veggie soup. I chopped up 4 stalks of celery, 1 calabaza squash and two handfuls of baby carrots.


Then I rooted through our freezer and found about 1/2 C of frozen green beans. I threw those in there.



Then I measured out 3 C of chicken broth. I brought to a rolling boil. Then I let it simmer for about 15 min or so while I made sandwiches for lunch the next day.
Vegetable soup doesn't have to be complicated. Feel free to throw together whatever you have in your fridge or freezer.



No comments: