Friday, April 23, 2010

TGIF!

So yesterday for lunch, I packed a classic tuna salad sandwich on lettuce and whole-wheat.  I had it with an apple.


It was simple, yet satisfying.

After a horrible drive in the rain, I went to class to learn about plasma membranes.  It was pretty interesting, but the entire time, I was dreaming of dinner.  I wanted comfort food.  Which roughly translates to "pasta" for me.


Pantry pasta, to be more exact.  I just threw some things together to make this succulent little dish.  But I'll estimate a recipe for you.

Pantry Pasta
yields about 4 servings

3/4 of a 12 oz. box of whole-wheat pasta like rotini or penne
28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 zucchini, shredded
4-6 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried basil (If you have fresh, even better.  Use as much as you want!)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (Again, fresh is better.)
1/4 C cooking sherry (or white wine)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
grated Parmesan

1.  Boil pasta in well-salted until it reaches your tenderness/firmness taste.  Drain.
2.  Meanwhile, in a big pot or dutch oven, heat oil.  Saute onions and then garlic for 1 min or so.
3.  Add tomatoes from can and all those juices!
4.  Add some of the cooking sherry/wine.  Add oregano.  Let simmer.
5.  Add zucchini.  Start tasting.
6.  Add basil, salt and pepper.  Adjust tastes.  Add more of anything you want!  Then add a little more black pepper, for me, will ya?
7.  Fold the pasta into the tomato sauce.  Taste.  Adjust.  Drizzle some olive oil on it.  Stir.
8.  Dish into a bowl or ont a plate.  Sprinkle with Parmesan.
9.  Dig in!

Cook's Notes:  I wish I added more zucchini and I wish I had fresh herbs.  I also sort of wish I had white wine instead of sherry.  But it was still okay.  You can really up the veggies and flavor with this one without adding any bad fats.  Tinker around!  You could also use other veggies, like baby spinach or bell peppers.  Those sound delicious.

Happy Weekend all!

No comments: