Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Lady who Lunches

Yesterday, I packed a delicious little lunch of leftovers.


Leftover white chili, a mix of celery sticks and snow peas and a banana.  It was very filling!

After work, I headed to campus and had a peanut butter and jelly on whole-wheat sandwich with an apple before my big test.  I don't know how I did on the test, but I sure tried hard!  After the test, I went to lab, which luckiy, was short.  Once home, I combined the last of the black beans with some squash casserole and had a few chips on the side.  I also had a dark beer, and then some decaf.

This morning, I kick-started the day with some of my new cereal with milk and a banana.

I'm hoping today isn't too hectic and that my class lets out on time tonight so I can squeeze in a walk.

For lunch today, I have packed:


I have leftover squash casserole, a few leftover wheat crackers, some edamame, shredded wheat cereal for a snack and some big fat strawberries!  It should be really filling.

I've been reading up on eating for heart health, since my family has various heart problems.  It's not one reoccuring problem throughout our family, but things like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc here and there.  One of the top recommedations is a Mediterranean-inspired diet.  We don't eat any red meat in our diet and have been trying to scale back on chicken (portions and frequency).  We've been eating more meatless meals.  One thing we've been missing lately is some of those delicious fatty fish like salmon!  So we need to incorporate that back into our diet.  Other trademarks of a Mediterranean diet are lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains, and healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, or avocados.  Luckily, I love all of those things; I just need to plan our meals around it!

Interestingly enough, Kendall asked about foods that help boost brain function, and as I tooled around online, I found that many recommend the Mediterranean diet for brain health as well.  It's said that by ensuring a healthy bloodflow through cardiovascular health, you help boost brain function and stave off brain-degenerative diseases like Alzeheimers.

I'm out, but will return with a new recommendation.

No comments: