Monday, April 5, 2010

Back in the Saddle

It's Monday, and while I'm at work, my hubby is at home.  I hope he has a fun day.

After a weekend of indulging, we both decided to get back in the saddle with healthy eating and more excercise.  It's been hard for me to do anything physical with class at night and the winter sky getting dark at 5:30 pm or 6 pm, but now that it's spring and the sun doesn't set until 8 pm or so, I hope to squeeze in a few evening walks. 

And wouldn't you know it?  No sooner had we talked about needing to clean up our diets a bit, I saw this timely article on Cooking Light!  It's a great reminder that eating seasonally is nature's way of offering fun and different ways to get in your nutrients.  We've been enjoying strawberries and asparagus, and a few peas at our house recently, but I never thought of radishes as a nutrition-powerhouse veggie.  I usually use them to add to salads or cut roses for veggie trays!  I'm going to try to work a few more in my diet, as well as some yummy cherries and apricots. 

Kendall is from Ohio originally, and his family has great stories about rhubarb, but say that you really can't get good rhubarb in Texas... it doesn't ship well!  Perhaps I will swap that one out for more artichokes.  I do love them, but the one time I cooked them fresh, it was a lot of work for not a lot of food.  Maybe I did it wrong?

This morning, I tried a new cereal, Special K Fruit and Yogurt.  It was very yummy, but as I read the labels, I was sad to see that it was low in fiber and high in sugar!


Upon further inspection, I also found that it didn't contain any real dried fruit, but rather, "fruit flavored clusters" of grains.  Um, gross!  Perhaps this will be a good yogurt topping to use sparingly...


It was also full of corn syrups.  I think this should be treated more like a dessert than a breakfast staple...

Have a great day, everyone!

No comments: