Thursday, April 22, 2010

Every Day is Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day, all! 
Enjoy this day by enjoying what the earth provides us, whether it's a nice walk outside to appreciate nature, learning more about some incredible animal, or make a meal from nature's bounty!

Yesterday started off great but got all weird.


The windows were open yesterday morning, which meant a cool breeze in the house.  I decided on something warm... like oatmeal with vanilla, brown sugar and yogurt.  Topped with some walnuts, dried cranberries and some preserves.

For lunch, I enjoyed a fun salad of roasted veggies, navy beans and couscous in a little vinaigrette.

I had an apple on the side.  It was so good!  It had roasted broccoli, asparagus, and zucchini.

Then work got busy and weird, and I had some problems registering for my grad classes, and I went to my organic chem class and got all confused.  So I came home tired, and decided on a very simple and lazy supper.


Yep.  That is crackers, cheese, some deli turkey, a chopped tomato, and some radishes and cucumber in a vinaigrette.  I added fresh cracked pepper on verything.  That's also a little glass of red wine.  It was weirdly satisfying.  It was lazy and easy and took no effort to prepare, and I lounged around eating it.

In the spirit of Earth Day, check out this video from CookingLight about a sustainable kitchen.  What do you do for a more sustainable kitchen?  After discovering Michael Pollan and Mark Bittman, Kendall and I have really tried to cut back on our meat consumption, and are now trying to eat organic produce that lands on the Dirty Dozen list and eat more local produce.  Luckily, we love legumes, and Austin boasts several good farmers' markets.

So far I had some shredded wheat with milk for breakfast, and will have a tuna fish sandwich and apple for lunch.  I'm looking forward to dinner tonight.  I think it will be meatless and have something to do with PASTA and SALAD.  It's the simple things, yes?

No comments: