Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DIY Pesto

We recently got some rain in Central Texas, and my basil is beautiful! I wanted to take advantage of its new green foliage, so I made two batches of pesto this weekend. I picked about 2 C of basil leaves, and there is still plenty out there and more rain in the forecast! I'm going to try to make some more this weekend and freeze it.

This batch is a bit dry. If you look closely, you can see that the top layer of basil is a bit browned, but what's under (and in the spoon in this shot) is bright green. I tried to prevent this by sealing it with olive oil, but because I didn't use enough oil to begin with, it just soaked in. We also have lots of sage in our garden, so I might try some sage pesto. You can use any herb you like!

Laura's Pesto
1 C fresh basil (or other herb)
2 large cloves garlic, smashed
About 1/3 C Parmesan
About 1 oz. walnuts (Or any nut! I've used pecans with delicious results, or you can opt for the more traditional pinenut.)
Olive oil (I used enough to wet the leaves and help it blend smoothly, but I needed more. I'd estimate 1/3 C to 1/2 C of oil would work. But I recommend eyeing it until it gets to your preferred consistency.)

Combine in a food processor and pulse until a paste; you can make it as chunky or as smooth as you like.

Serve with just about anything. Enjoy!

No comments: