Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 3: Your Favorite Quote and Why it's Your Favorite

"Ninety percent of life is just showing up." -- Woody Allen

This is my favorite quote because in my experience, it's absolutely true.  Whether it's showing up to work or class, to a birthday party or dinner party, to a game or a race or to a wedding, birth or funeral, BEING there is what matters.

Sure, there are times when it would be easier to sit on the couch in my PJs and watch "No Reservations" over and over again.  But getting up, getting out and showing up means a lot to people.  It's surprisingly simple.  But think about all the important moments in your life and think about who was there... and who wasn't.  You probably remember a lot about those people on those days, huh?

And even if you can't physically be there, you can still "show up" in other ways, whether a phone call or card in the mail.  When my Brain Sister had her first treatment, I couldn't be there, which was hard.  I wanted to sit by her and tell her stupid stories and make her laugh so much milk shot out her nose, and I wanted to walk her home and then make her a delicious homemade meal or a snack or tea or whatever she wanted.  So I sent flowers, a small token. But it felt good to "show up" in any sort of way for her.

Yep, showing up is important.

So whenever life hands me something that I'm not quite ready to deal with, or don't want to deal with, I put on my big girl panties and remind myself of this quote.

No comments: