Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Behind the Curve

I've been a Texan for, what, 22 years now. So there is absolutely no excuse for my ignorance when it comes to chipotle chiles packed in adobo sauce. Why did it take me so long to buy a can? Chipotles are in no way foreign to my diet. If something is flavored with them, then I'm ordering that dish. I love their smoky flavor, their spiciness.

When I finally picked up some chipotles at my grocery store, I was pleased to find that I love the adobo sauce equally. It has the dark, woody smokiness and sweetness that I love in other flavors like dark chocolate and mole. Now I throw adobo in everything; I stirred it with lime juice and olive oil and served it over pasta last night.

So, let this be a lesson, friends: Don't just try chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, but try anything that looks interesting, or simpler still, something you know you like.

No comments: