Tuesday, July 31, 2007

No Reservations

I know I'm late in the game with this, but hey, I don't have cable. But as a foodie with Internet access and a love for travel, I can't ignore the TV perfect match for people like me: No Reservations. Follow chef Anthony Bourdain around the world as he gets into such interesting situations like arm wrestling Viking descendants and dancing over poles in Vietnam. And then there's the food.

Bourdain is a man after my own heart. His zest for travel is exhibited through his willingness to try anything once, a travel rule I believe in. Sure, you might not be thrilled try the local delicacy, barbecued spiders, but there are several good reasons to do so. For one, it's a once in a lifetime experience, and food tells a story about the culture you're in. Also, it's just downright polite. I was raised not to turn my nose up at a meal that anyone else has prepared for me. And it makes a great story. Who else in your circle of friends can say they've slurped on porcupine?

The other reason to check out this series if you haven't already, beside seeing the scenery and life of another place, is that it's funny. Bourdain has the sort of sarcastic, self-deprecating humor I have when I travel. I also look like a total idiot as I try to fit into new places too! 'Oh, look at you dancing the flamenco, so gracefully... whereas I look like I have ants down my pants and I've elected to stomp them out.' Similar episodes occur with Bourdain, as he gruffly chuckles and pokes fun at himself.

So if you're wondering what to flip on, I highly recommend No Reservations. And you don't have to wait too long. The new season is just around the corner.

No comments: