Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Just Peachy BBQ Chicken

Oh, baby.  My husband might be a grilling machine.  We recently bought a grill and Kendall is really, really good at grilling things.  Case in point, I came home yesterday to something delicious on the grill.  Actually, two delicious things, if you want to get technical about it: chicken and onions.

Don't be fooled by such a simple description.  The chicken was moist and flavorful and yummy and the onion was juicy and tasted like grilled French Onion soup.  I know!  I couldn't believe it either!


Kendall first took boneless, skinless chicken breasts and marinaded in this delicious peach grilling sauce he found in Gettysburg on a recent trip.  Sometimes he brings me gifts, and he knows the best gift to give me is something I can eat.  Preserves, chocolate, sauces... I'm a sucker for unique condiments and dessert.

Then he slapped them on the grill for about 20 minutes.  Here's what we got:


Yes.  It really is as delicious as it looks.  And after putting some on our plates, we then put a little more of this magical stuff over the top.


I don't know who invented this, but they really should be considered for sainthood.  I would call them a genius.  Here's the thing about this sauce.  It is peachy and spicy.  Sweet and savory.  But it's not TOO sweet.  I can taste the peach, and I can taste the chili pepper, and it is delicious.  AND I don't feel like this was concocted in a lab somewhere and contains lots and lots of high fructose corn syrup.  So we were very, very happy campers.

THEN we pulled this little beauty of the grill.


Inspired by one Paula Deen, this was the second grilled onion blossom in our house and we are now addicted to them.  Pray for our souls.  THIS gem was all Kendall.  He split the red onion into eight wedges, but did not totally cut apart.  Leave the root intact.  Then put it in foil, add some butter popcorn salt and a pad of butter.  Then gather up the foil around the onion and grill for 45 minutes.  Then open and eat.

I did this rather ungracefully.  I ended up eating most of my half standing, hunched over the table, slurping, too distracted with deliciousness to even sit down.  COULD NOT SIT DOWN, people.  That is how good this was.



See that broth in the lower left corner?  Yes.  That will rock your world.  Your shoes and socks will fly off your feet with delight.

So there you have it.  The fourth of July is over, but grilling can continue.  So this weekend, fire that baby up and eat something simple, yet delicious.

No comments: